Buddha was born in Nepal. So what?
Yes, Buddha was born in Lumbini, around 2600 years ago, which is now in Nepal. I am very proud of that he was born here!
But the real question we Nepali should be asking each-other now is:
Would Buddha want to be re-born in Nepal of today?
- Would he approve of our pin-drop silence against injustice and impunity in Nepal?
- Would he salute the long lines of young men and women in a hurry to leave their motherland, that our elders turned into a place of dead-ends and despair?
- Would he embrace his fellow Nepalis who try to divide themselves along our castes, religions and material wealth?
- Would he keep smiling while some of his countrymen kill our own kin in the name of change?
- Would he sit idly while we butcher animals in a ritual sacrifice to appease gods or sell girls to prostitution?
- Would he help us when we prefer to sit silent like sheep while our rulers rape any dignity that is left in us?
- Would he want to teach us who have corrupted ourselves, defiled his legacy and strayed to extreme paths for mere material gains?
- Would he want to born where in the thousands of years we have lost our courage, our humility, our empathy and our integrity?
So before we get over-sentimental about Buddha’s birthplace, why don’t we first take some time off to learn what he actually taught. Bring to heart, what he really fought for 2600 years ago? Study and believe in his middle way first !
I am going to cherish the day when we Nepalis can declare instead:
“Yes Buddha would love to reborn right here in Nepal today!”
Enough of us Nepalis talking about his birthplace without taking his teachings into heart. It is time for you and me, to stop being simply a talker or advisor, but to be a ‘doer’, one that will make Buddha proud that he wants to be reborn here again. Are you up for this challenge?
and do watch this to understand “Buddha” more..