Here are a few lessons I learnt while running my online branding & web development firm Digital Max Solutions (DMS) in Nepal for nearly 10 years. Some of the lessons maybe IT specific. Enjoy!
- Be directly, personally responsible to the client. Otherwise chances of success in your project is low.
- Ensure quality yourself. If you personally don’t do quality checks on your products or services, make sure the person who does it, has your 100% trust. (Otherwise it will come back to haunt you)
- Delegate but teach. If you delegate your project’s communication to your employee (your associate), teach them exactly how, what, why and when to communicate.
- Train your employees (associates). Do not expect them to solely learn by their own or the internet. Understand the concept yourself first.
- Your employees value what they can learn from you personally. Substituting respect from them by friendship with them alone, may not work.
- Repeat yourself. Over-communicate. Your employees may not understand the first time around. This happens often. Ask them to paraphrase (To repeat what they understood.)
- Client is always right (but only at the end). Do ask them a lot of questions before the project starts. Over-communicate. Have